My Thoughts on the Trail Thusfar: And Overarching Feel

November and December have been some busy months. I didn't have as many interviews as some of my peers (considering my standardized examination scores are quite pitiful), so I really shouldn't be complaining, but it really has been exhausting. Don't get me wrong, it's been worlds of fun, but it's still quite draining by the end of the day. Most of the interviews were a "two-day event" in which a meet-and-greet supper is held the day prior to the interview so that the applicants can interface with the residents. Then, there's the day of the interview. For the most part, I didn't have the luxury of time status post interview to look around and explore the area. 

It is a strange feeling to be on the other side of the table. Rather than anxiously trying to impress these highly selective programs, I was stunned to find these institutions pitch their programs to us.

"We'd love to have you ... that is, if you want us!"

Of course, it's much more of a mutual matchmaking. Each side is attempting to ascertain the level of compatibility, but it's so much less stressful not having to be the only one doing all the impressing! Coming from a more humble college, I find that I am very satisfied with my training thusfar (shoutout to my AMC peeps!) relative to my fellow applicants. Simultaneously, it's humbling and ego-boosting to be in this strange position.  

Maybe it's neurology, or maybe it's the changing medical education system, but I didn't find any of my interviews to be incredibly intimidating. Sure, there will always be the anxiety and nerves that come with any interview that you may covet a position for, but there were not Big Hard Questions to answer. Most of my interviews were very relaxed, in which my interviewers would often chat about my interests outside of medicine. I find it very unsettling at first and was often baffled when they asked me what I wanted to know in their program. Eventually, I settled into the acceptance that neurology is just as quirky as I am and being myself is the wisest choice I can make.

So far, I had enjoyed all of my interviewing experiences and liked all the programs. Of course, there will always be a rank list and preferences, but I honestly think I will be happy in any of these programs. It's just a matter of relative increase or decrease in happiness/satisfaction levels. The pre-interview meet and greet suppers were very informative, and I found that almost all the residents were relatively happy and satisfied with their program (I mean, they're not going to badmouth their own alma mater, are they?). Generally, I primarily looked for the interactions among the residents. Are they happy? Do they look like they're friends with each other? What is their relationship like with their mentors and the hospital staff? What positive and aspects of the program do they see? What improvements can be made in their opinion?

Right away, you can see the difference between a program that functions as a team/family and a program that trains individual residents. There's a stark contrast in the atmosphere almost immediately when you see the residents talk with one another. If nothing else, I found this to be the most telling.

The interviews themselves varied in structure and in intensity. Most of my interviews spanned 15-30 minutes per interviewer, which felt exceedingly short and incredibly frustrating at times. There were rounds, conferences, lunches, etc that were planned in for us to sample their daily routine. It was very clear which interviewers I jived with and which I struggled with. Overall, I liked all the program directors and chiefs as well as their mission. I had an academic/research and teaching focus, so those were points of interest to me.

Lastly, there was the tour. I never did understand the point of the tour. Logically speaking, all hospitals have somewhat the same structure. Even if certain parts of the hospital wasn't in tip top shape, no part of the tour is a deal-breaker for anyone (at least, it shouldn't be). How does seeing the cafeteria really play into your decision in ranking? Really. And let's be honest, after a handful of these tours, will you really remember the distinguishing factors among them? They all start to blur and haze in my mind anyhow. I feel like it's an unnecessary drag of an already-exhausting day. I appreciate the extra time to spend talking with the residents, but sometimes I felt like we were taken to see things that weren't quite fruitful.

And that, is the Gestalt of my interview trail so far. Later shall be a post on the first two programs I interviewed at.

Comments