Intern Year Feels


The first three weeks of my intern year placed me in the inpatient wards. In layman terms, this means I was working in the main hospital taking care of patients. It's a busy service at my home institution, and I work six days a week. Undoubtedly, this is probably the hardest service to work at, so I guess it's a good idea for me to start with. 

Inundated is an understatement of how I feel most of the time when I was on this inpatient service. Metaphorically, I was assaulted on all fronts. From the nursing staff to the attending physician, I was constantly badgered with questions and requests. Unfortunately, I felt like the only answer that I could come up with for the first week or so was "uhm...I don't know?"

Things do get better. Eventually, I started to get a hold on the rhythm with which this beast of the hospital breathes, and these questions and demands became more reasonable. By the end of the service, I was able to reduce my "I don't know" responses down to at least 50% of the time. 

Small victories! 

Comments