Commencement 2017

These moments are surreal to me.

A few days ago, in the unpredictable and often uncooperative weather of Albany, NY, I was whirled across the Saratoga Springs Performing Arts auditorium with my crimson muffin hat and gown, awarded my green hoot, and was handed my crimson tube.

It's a light tube. Barely carries any weight. On the front of the tube, the Albany Medical College insignia is engraved. On the top, it's a white, round sticker with black print of my name. It's simple, nothing crazy. 

Nita Chen, M.D.

More than anything, the significance of this tube really weighed heavy. Entering Albany Medical College in August, 2014, I knew the path I was taking would lead me to becoming a physician, but the reality of it was always felt so surreal. These four years have been brutal, personally and academically. I've had to learn how to become more independent, to find the personal borders and maintain appropriate friendships, to study in the most effective ways possible, to ride through the hard times, to support each other while keeping my own sanity, and to keep myself levelheaded. I've learnt that the hardest part about medical school isn't the curriculum; it's the life that goes on despite the academic turmoils. 

I have gained so many friendships through this journey. My second family has given me so much love and so much support. I am sad that such a good thing has to end, but it's a necessary closure to another chapter of my life. 

I can't believe it's happening. Can't believe it happened. I packed my house without realizing what it fully meant. I sold my books and found a new place to live without really thinking about what would happen next. When the day came, with drizzles and cold winds blowing, I got to Saratoga without really expecting anything enlightening. 

Seeing everyone put on their crimson gowns, fiddling around to get ready, getting in line, and hushing up when the speakers began their pieces - I still didn't feel like it was truly happening. Even shaking Dr. P's hand, I couldn't quite believe that what I was holding was my diploma. Kept thinking that I would be told this is a fluke. 

I think it'll take some time before everything sinks in, but I look forward the new chapters that will unfold. Right now, I'm more sad that I'm leaving my wonderful institution, sad that I'm leaving some really great friends behind, and sad that I'll have to start over again. Hopefully, in time, I'll be happy with the new opportunities that soon will be, excited to earn the expertise of my intended field, and tiredly content with this lifestyle that I have chosen for myself. 

Until then, thank you to all those who have supported me along the way! Thank you to the people who have loved me even during my bad moments. Thank you to the mentors who have inspired me. I hope I've done you proud, and I hope that I will keep marching forward with your light in my heart!

Comments