Abnormal Findings

Recently, my father had a new finding on his routine ultrasound. Although he has been otherwise healthy for most of his life, there were a few risk factors that prompted the request of further studies. Having had experienced my mother's experience with cancer, my brother and I were quite insistent on pushing him to get the follow up studies. 

I was glad that my father had completed his routine studies - though he wasn't always compliant even with my mother's incessant nagging - and I thanked preventative care for that. Always a stubborn man, he didn't believe in seeing a doctor when he felt perfectly fine. I find it odd that for a man governed by logic with higher education training, my father is very obstinate about his health at times. He believes in letting nature take its course, and he places significant mistrust in the use of "unnatural" medicine and invasive technology to heal.

I explained to him the reasons behind the need for further evaluations - reasons not explained anywhere in the report - and he begrudgingly acknowledged our concerns. He felt fine, he said, and if it were meant to happen, then it would happen. He didn't see why an expensive test needed to be done. Unlike my mother, he was wasn't afraid of the pain of procedures; he simply didn't find value in doing tests to rule things out. 

What's the point of getting a test done and being perfectly normal? He asked. I could've just told you that I'm normal. It's a waste of money.

Do you want it to be abnormal? It's for your peace of mind. If it's abnormal, we would've caught it early and can act on it. If it's normal, that's great. At the very least, you'll ease mami's worries. She says you can't die before her.

Still think it's a waste of money. He muttered, and he bargained for a reward with my mother for agreeing to the MRI.

It's frustrating, but at least I know he's reasonable. At least I know that when the time comes, I can explain things to the best of my abilities. I know that when he has questions, I know where to look for answers, and he won't just go along with the physician's wishes. I know he's a man of inquisition, and he wouldn't just take explanations without proper digestion. At least I know whatever decision he makes, it will align with his ideals.

It scares me, a little, that many people don't have this. It scares me that many people don't understand the reason behind their studies and the motivations that drives physicians' decisions. There's not always a conversation about the course of action, and I feel there's unnecessary fear and anxiety stemmed from not knowing. And I don't know much - I'm merely a medical student - but even that explanation has eased my family to expect what's to come. In the day and age of technology, there's less of the clinic visits where physicians can address concerns and questions that arise through the delivery of information. Now, it's a simple and curt email that's fired through the interwebs. Now, it's a bother to email the physician back because what if the question's stupid? Dr. Google is probably less embarrassing. 

Drawing from my own clinical experiences and from this happening, I've come to really understand what is so lacking in the field of medicine: communication.

There needs to be a balance.
Between overwhelming patients with over-the-head knowledge and protecting patients from complex decisions, there needs to be a way to let patients know the general goal and reasoning behind the treatment plan. I feel that patients should never go through procedures or "get things done" without knowing why. It's a difficult balance, but I think it is one that is necessary and perhaps something that should be more emphasized in our medical education. Being a patient advocate is part of our responsibilities, and education with informed consent is just as essential as providing effective treatment.

Comments