Calm Before the Storm

I have found that
I love
the fragrance of chlorohexadine


Wrapped in the simple sterile packaging
included with the nail-pick
the soft-bristle sponge
(a gentle yet bold statement)
soothes my frazzled senses


What’s more, I’ve found
I love
the texture of the prickly brush as I scrub meticulously
over every inch
every crease
every possible crevice of contamination


In those allotted five minutes
I am allowed this
peace
to soak in the assertive scratches
and scrubs
of bristles and sponge
alternating between
rich chlorohexadine liquid
and
scratchy foaming


In truth
it’s nothing surprising
this obsessive
almost ritualistic practice
why wouldn’t I find this
soothing
calming
and extremely satisfying?


Like the musicians who
fiddle through their lucky charms
before their performance
or
the heartpounding pep talk
before the great games
we have our preop chlorohexadine scrub
in the calm silence of the operating hall


These satisfying minutes of peace
and focus
a sort of rite of passage
and humble reminder
of who we are

Comments