Gone and Back Again

So it has been a while.  The life of a medical student seems to play at twice the speed of normal people. Or maybe I was just living at a sloth's pace before (that seems more probable). I have been writing, though, I swear! My school has an amazing online newsletter across the nation for medical school students to contribute their thoughts and reflections about their lives. I have had the honour of having two of my pieces being published on it, but you can see for yourself the immensely thoughtful and mature ruminations of my fellow peers: http://in-training.org/ So yeah. School, school, school. This theme has been a difficult one. Perhaps it is the content that has been getting harder (but not by that much, I really doubt); or perhaps it is the fact that people have been burning out from activity-filled weekends; or perhaps making pee and breathing just is not that interesting to most people (sorry, Dr. F and Dr. J, it really isn't); but I found myself dragging my academic feet all around this theme. I feel disappointed in myself. I have always somewhat prided myself in preserving through the odds, but I have come to realize how much more I have to push myself when I encounter something that I do not like. I guess it was also a first for me as well. I have enjoyed, if not loved, all of the themes that have been taught so far (who doesn't love and adore neuro?), and this was the first theme in which almost all the lectures seemed platonic and bland to me. Not that these topics are not important (making normal pee is way important; ain't nobody got time for bloody pee and stuff), but I guess they are just not particularly fascinating to me. So to be honest with myself, I have not really been working my best for this themes, and my continued bias against the renal system cannot be truly justified.  Well, as much as it annoys and stresses me that I may not even pass this dreaded theme (and don't I always do this to myself anyway), I guess it is time to dust off those worries and hope to shine in the next theme (GI, here we go! Dissections for the wins). For now, though, I am returning to warm California to enjoy a week off of sleep, pampered and endless fooding, lots of milk tea-ing, catching up with friends, and some movie-time. Yep, sounds great. Except it apparently is raining in California. Poo. 

Comments